Sunday, March 4, 2012

Today ASB Disaster Relief returned to the Engelhard Medical Center o finish up what we started yesterday. After a late start (we "accidentally" woke up at 9:45 instead of 9:00 - whoops!) we grabbed a quick breakfast, reflected on the day before and piled in the van to Engelhard.


As we are now Master Tile-Replacers, we were able to finish re-tiling the ceilings of the examination rooms quickly - with a little dancing and singing along the way! (Thanks to our trip DJ Keefer!) At lunch Mrs. Keeney talked to us about Hyde Country and how it has been impacted by hurricanes in the past. In the last few decades they've been hit by quite a few bad storms that have made it difficult for them to recover. Homes have been flooded, roofs destroyed, and farming cycles disturbed. Thankfully, the county built a dyke that helped stop the flooding from Hurricane Irene.


It's wonderful how the county pulls together as a tight knit community to help one another. They've been so welcoming and friendly to us - I'm glad we've been able to help them! I think we've all already learned a lot from this community and certainly have bonded as a group during our time here. A few rounds of late night Taboo helps to bring a group together as well as bring out our competitive sides. It was intense. It was nice to kick back and relax after a hard day's work and reflection.


Tomorrow we are going to help clean a local park and courthouse - I honestly can't wait. Everyday I learn more about this community, this group, and myself! I really don't want this trip to end! :)


P.S. GO HEELS!!! (We crushed Duke 88-70. Awwwwwww yeah).

No comments:

Post a Comment